|Description||The layout and structure of a narrow passage in Gloucester Cathedral behind the high altar called a ‘whispering gallery’, in the shape of half of an irregular polygon, about 20 yards in length. A gentle whisper at the end of this gallery was audible for its entire length. Its description by Henry Powle was read at the meeting of the Royal Society on 5 November 1662. Earlier in the year (August 1662), Fellows including Robert Boyle, Jonathan Goddard, Walter Charleton and William Croone were discussing echoes and sounds, and had sought information about the whispering gallery from Powle.|
Figure and an explanation of the text is available on the same page.