|Description||Printed minutes containing matters laid before Council, the Royal Society's governing body of Fellows, with records of decisions taken. From this meeting, individual minutes are numbered.|
Commencing with a list of Council members present: William Crookes; Sir Joseph Fayrer; Lazarus Fletcher; Michael Foster; Edward Frankland; Walter Holbrook Gaskell; William Huggins; William Thomson, Lord Kelvin; Alexander Blackie William Kennedy; Horace Lamb; Edwin Ray Lankester; Charles Lapworth; Major Percy Alexander MacMahon; John Henry Poynting; John William Strutt, Lord Rayleigh; Arthur William Rucker; Osbert Salvin; the Treasurer, Sir John Evans; Harry Marshall Ward; Admiral William James Lloyd Wharton; the President, Sir Joseph Lister, in the chair.
Among matters discussed or noted: minutes of the last meeting read and approved.
1. Nomination by ballot of a list of President, Officers and Fellows to serve as Council for the next year, to be recommended for election at the Anniversary Meeting, the list to be communicated to the public papers.
2-8. Adjudication of the award of Royal Society medals, with citations: Professor Carl Gegenbauer (Copley Medal), Professor Philipp Lenard and Professor Wilhelm Conrad Rontgen (Copley Medal, struck in duplicate), Professor Charles Vernon Boys (Royal Medal), Sir Archibald Geikie (Royal Medal), Professor Henri Moissan (Davy Medal), and Professor G. Battista Grassi (Darwin Medal).
9. Nomination by ballot of four candidates for Foreign Membership, to be recommended at the next Ordinary Meeting: Professor Albert Heim, Professor Gabriel Lippmann, Professor Gosta Mittag-Leffler and Professor Giovanni Sciaparelli, a fifth vacancy left to be filled.
10. Letter from Sir Douglas Galton requesting that the Royal Society join with the British Association in inducing government to create a National Physical Laboratory: the reply suggesting that interested societies should form a joint committee to take action; nominations from the Royal Society to serve on such a committee.
11. Draft of a letter from Michael Foster, to the Under-Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs, full text entered into the minutes: relating to the International Geodetic Bureau, recommending that Britain should join the Convention and the Society's willingess to advise, in that circumstance.
12. Report of the Delegates to the International Catalogue Conference considered and the remaining suggestions approved, with a grant for one year only.
13. Draft report of Council to the Fellowship considered and the previous resolution rescinded: the report should not be presented, but used by the President for his Address.
14. Issuing of subject-indexing to the journals to be continued.
15. Application of Mr. Bather for £100 from the Publication Fund to compile an index; considered inadvisable to commit any more of the Fund to work not containing original research.
16. £50 from the Donation Fund awarded to Professor Sherrington, for researches on the nervous system.
17. Letter from Mr. A. B. Kempe concerning the Scientific Relief Committee and the chartered status of organisations; the London Mathematical Society and the Physical Society placed on the list of organisations able to recommend cases to the Fund.
18. Application from Surgeon-Captain Webb to consult records of deceased Fellows, granted.
19. Letter from the Institution of Mining Engineers referred to the International Catalogue Committee.
20. List of salaries and wages paid to named Royal Society Officers and staff.