|Title||Schorlemmer, Carl: certificate of election to the Royal Society|
|Citation||Author of a series of papers on the Constitution of the Paraffins, chiefly published in the Proceedings of the Society since 1862. Among these the most important are: - |
- On the Chemical Constitution of so called alcohol Radicals; showing that no chemical difference exists between the hydrides & the so called radicals.
- On the Identity of Methyl with Ethyl hydride; indicating that the 4 combining powers of the Carbon atom have the same value.
- On the Synthesis of Di-isopropyl & Amyl isopropyl; pointing to the relation between the chemical structure and the boiling points of the paraffins.
- On the derivatives of Propane; giving a General method of derivation of primary from secondary alcohols.
- On Octyl & Hexyl compounds; being a contribution to the theory of substitution.
Author also of various other papers on Organic Chemistry, as, On a new series of hydrocarbons contained in Coal Tar. On the Constitution of Capryl alcohol from Castor oil.
Distinguished for his theoretical & practical knowledge of the Science of Chemistry.
|Proposers||From General Knowledge. A Vernon Harcourt; Warren De La Rue.|
From Personal Knowledge. Henry E Roscoe; E Frankland; Wm Odling; James P Joule; E Schunck; R Angus Smith; Hugo Muller; P Griess; R B Clifton; Henry Watts; F A Abel; W H Perkin
Fellows associated with this archive
|NA6411||Schorlemmer; Carl (1834 - 1892)||1834 - 1892|