|Previous numbers||Cert X, 337|
|Title||Symons, George James: certificate of election to the Royal Society|
|Citation||Author (1) of a series of annual volumes on the rainfall of the British Isles from 1860 to 1870|
(2) of a paper on the same subject ordered to be printed in extenso among the reports of the Brit Ass 1862
(3) of subsequent yearly reports on the same subject in the same publications
(4) of papers on Anemometry at Bermuda and Halifax published in Admiral FitzRoy's series of Board of Trade Meteorological Papers, and of several minor articles in those publications
(5) of several papers on underground temperature incorporated in recent reports to the British Association
(6) of the revised edition of Petermann's Hydrographical Map.
Designer of the Storm Rain Gauge (for indicating extremely heavy falls of short duration), of the Altameter (for measuring angular elevation), and of various forms of Meteorological Instruments for experimental purposes - Designer also of elaborate experiments which have led to improvements in (1) rain gauges and (2) solar radiation thermometers, and of other experiments still in progress relating to (3) thermometer stands, and (4) the amount of evaporation from a water surface.
|Proposers||From Personal Knowledge. T R Robinson DD; C Tomlinson; Chas Brooke; J F Bateman; J P Gassiot; Warren De La Rue; John Phillips; Charles V Walker; Robert H Scott; A Strange; Andrew Scott Waugh; J Glaisher; Thomas Webster; Thos Sopwith; John Tyndall; Edward Hull|
Fellows associated with this archive
|NA6485||Symons; George James (1838 - 1900)||1838 - 1900|