|Description||This note is on the back of JS/1/114. |
Note respecting Waddon mill by John Farey, 'he visited it on the 30 September 1805, before he had seen these drawings, and after that (by recollection) he thought the mill was at that time in the same state as here represented; the mill is situated a short distance from Croydon and is worked by the water of the river Wandle which rises from springs in that town. On the 29th August 1835 John Farey visited this place again, and found an entire new mill built at the side of the old one, which was totally worn out in its machinery and dismantled; the old machinery here represented was in part remaining except the water wheels, which had been rebuilt in cast iron, with iron plate buckets but apparently the same dimensions as Mr. Smeatons.'