|Alternative reference number||NLB/10 p381-383|
|Title||Copy letter from Michael Foster, to H W Primrose, Office of Works, 12 Whitehall Place, S.W.|
|Date||7 February 1895|
|Description||The request Primrose made in his letter of 31 May 1894, has been the subject of anxious consideration by the President and Council, and of correspondence with the Committee of the Society, to whom is entrusted the charge of the Observatory. |
Various proposals to substitute some new name for that of 'Kew Observatory' have been made and discussed but the President and Council are assured by the Committee that very considerable inconvenience, both practical and scientific, would result from a change in a name which from long use has become as familiar to physicists as 'the Royal Gardens, Kew' to botanists.
At the request of the President and Council the Committee have made changes in the headings of their letter paper and the form of the certificate, both of which Foster encloses examples of [not attached]. They sincerely trust these may go a long way to lessen the misdirection of correspondence of which the Director of Kew Gardens [William Thiselton-Dyer] complains.
Fellows associated with this archive
|NA8220||Foster; Sir; Michael (1836 - 1907); physiologist||1836 - 1907|